What is the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund?
If you or a loved one has been an innocent victim of a crime, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund (CICF) can provide financial reimbursement for crime-related expenses to ease some of the financial burdens you may face.
No one thinks crime will happen to them, but when it does it can be life-changing. You may not be able to work because of an injury, you may have medical bills piling up, or you may be scared to be in your own home.
What May Be Covered?
- Find Eligibility and Benefits Information
- Wage Loss
- Domestic Loss of Support
- Funeral/Burial Expenses
- Installation of Security Systems, Doors or Locks
- Temporary Lodging
- Prosthetic Devices, such as eyeglasses or dentures
- Dental/Medical Expenses
- Crime Scene Clean-up
The Fund does not reimburse for property or stolen money.
You Should Apply If…
- You had a physical or emotional injury due to a crime
- You were the payer of funeral expenses due to a crime
- The crime occurred in Virginia
- The crime occurred outside the United States, but you are a Virginia resident
- The crime was reported to police
- You have been cooperative with the police investigation and criminal court case
- You were not participating in illegal activity during the time of the crime
- You did not provoke or willingly participate in the crime
There is no income guideline to be eligible.
Here is the process for Compensation...
For an application, you can:
- Contact your local Victim Witness Program—they can help you through much of the court process as well as the application process;
- Complete the Claim Application (PDF, 57KB);
- Or have one mailed to you by calling 1.800.552.4007.
- Fill out the application, have it notarized, and return to CICF by mail or in person.
- You will receive a letter from CICF asking for any additional information needed.
- After all the documents necessary to make a decision have been collected, you will receive a decision letter on your claim. Please be aware it could take up to 6 months.
- Any reimbursement owed to you will arrive via check within 30 days of the award letter. If the money is owed to the provider, CICF will pay them directly.
** Please Note you will need Adobe’s Acrobat Reader (.pdf) , Microsoft Word Reader (.doc), Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer (.ppt), or Excel Viewer (.xls) in order to view some of the documents on this page.